Welcome from the Lay Leaders
Welcome to Annual Conference 2017 and to this new adventure!
We are living in a time of significant changes and challenges to our lives, our church, our country and the world. While there are strong differences that pull us in many directions, we also have core values and beliefs that hold us together; the very heart of United Methodism.
This year we are doing something different, meeting as Pacific Northwest and Oregon-Idaho conferences together along with representatives from Alaska. This will be an opportunity for us to know more people and to share the exciting ministries that are happening all across our episcopal area.
The logistics are challenging but the opportunities are abundant. We expect 1,200 people to attend the shared annual conference this year. Just getting all of us in the same room at the same time will demand creativity and a sense of humor. This will mean some plenary sessions together, laity session and worship services together, and separate clergy and legislative sessions. It is safe to say that routine will not be routine this year and some closely held traditions will be different this time.
The theme this year “Do This and You Will Live” is more than a bit of scripture to ponder, it is an invitation to embrace God, Life and celebrate who we are together. There will be time to learn, share, build new relationships, reflect on God’s call and be in incredible fellowship. Just imagine the singing!
We invite you to join us. Be part of this new adventure. It is a reunion, yes and an opportunity to broaden the “family” of United Methodists.
Peace and Blessings to you.
Your Conference Lay Leadership,
Jan Nelson and Emilie Kroen Nancy Tam Davis and David Reinholz
Oregon/Idaho Conference Pacific Northwest Conference
Conference Lay Leaders Conference Lay Leaders
2017 Conference offers two ways to help UMCOR
1. On Wednesday, June 14 there will be a donation station in front of the Red Lion on the River to receive UMCOR relief kits, especially health kits and items that go into the kits. See the list of items here. Steve Matthews, volunteer driver, will be there with a pickup truck and will deliver the kits and items to the West Depot in Salt Lake City. If you have large quantities from your church, contact Becky Platt at email@example.com to arrange a future pick-up. Contact Donna Waltman, West Depot liaison, for information at firstname.lastname@example.org or 503-622-3226. Please do not bring cash to the donation station. Consider publicizing this opportunity at your church or ministry site.
2. There will also be a kit-building workshop on Saturday morning, June 17, as part of the Ministry Alive! workshops. Participants will assemble kits and load them into a truck to send to the UMCOR depot. On this day, checks will be gratefully accepted to off-set the cost of the kit supplies. Consider asking groups in your church to “sponsor” a number of health kits at approximately $13 each. Checks should be made payable to Conference Treasurer with UMCOR kits on the memo line.
Conference Pages Needed
|May 17||Last day to register for childcare|
|May 21||Last day to turn in Ministry Display application|
|May 18||Last day to RSVP for Retiree Luncheon, email@example.com|
|May 30||Last day to register without late fee (members only)|
|June 5||Last day to pay for meals without a late fee. (Use the link in your confirmation email to pay online.)|
|June 6||Last day to register online (late fee)|
Registrations received after May 30th are charged a $50.00 late fee until June 6, the last day to register online. If you wait to register at the Conference you will be assessed a $75 late fee. Please do not delay.
- See full conference schedule.
- Read about childcare and register your children.
- Read the latest Updates
- Read and download OR-ID Legislation
- Information about and directions to the Red Lion on the River
If you can’t find the information you need on the shared conference website: greaternw.org/ac2017/. You may also call the OR-ID hotline at 1-800-593-7539 ext. 203 or 503-802-9203 (messages will be checked and returned twice a day Monday-Thursday) or Anna Conklin in the PNW Conference office at 800-755-7710 ext. 303, Monday-Friday.