The Global Ministries Racial Ethnic Local Church (RELC) Grant application cycle is now open. RELC grants are provided to assist local racial/ethnic congregations with projects and programs on one of the four focus areas: 1) Leadership Development; 2) Church Growth and Development; 3) Ministry with the Poor, and 4) Health Ministries.
RELC grants also provide a 1-year pastoral salary support of $10,000. The maximum amount for a programmatic grant is $10,000 This year’s grant deadline is May 1, 2021.
The criteria of the RELC Grant is as follows:
- The ministry/project must focus on developing and strengthening the racial-ethnic local church for witness and mission.
- Applicants can apply for either a programmatic grant OR pastoral salary support, not both.
- The grant application requires a signature of the district superintendent and theresident bishop of the area where the ministry/project is located.
- The ministry/project must involve racial-ethnic church members in the planning, leadership, and decision-making.
- Priority will be given to new programs. Grants funded in the previous three years will not be given priority for the funding in the current year cycle.
- The ministry/project must be a program of a majority racial-ethnic local church or supporting racial-ethnic members of an annual conference of the United Methodist Church in the United States.
- Maximum grant for a project is $10,000 and applications must reflect other resources from local congregation/district and/or conference. The maximum grant for salary support is a one-year grant, in the amount of $10,000. Churches must contribute at least 10% of the requested grant amount, and the contribution must be reflected in the income section of the budget.
- Applicants are encouraged to consult with Global Ministries staff for guidance while preparing the application.
Questions about the program should be directed to Dana Lyles, PhD, Director of Multiethnic Ministries/Team Lead at the General Board of Global Ministries – firstname.lastname@example.org, (770) 625-7833.