Clear Appointment Openings
Introduction to the Process
The appointive cabinets of the Greater Northwest Area and the Bishop are continuing the practice of sharing “clear openings” as the appointment process unfolds. When the appointive cabinets publish clear openings, we are giving clergy the opportunity to express an interest in a particular appointment. An expression of interest will not circumvent the usual discernment process and does not guarantee that the interested clergy will receive preferred consideration.
If you feel a sense of call to one of these appointments, then you may contact your District Superintendent with a short explanation of your reasons for submitting your name and why you feel the ministry setting is a good match for your gifts. These submissions will be handled confidentially with no contact with your current appointment.
The practice of sharing clear openings gives clergy an opportunity to tie a string around the superintendent’s finger. That string says, “remember me when you are considering Church of the Wonderful Opportunity UMC.” The practice also gives clergy an opportunity to share their gifts and calling with the cabinet as the discernment process begins. Expressing your interest does not guarantee that you will be contacted for the desired appointment; it only means that the appointive cabinet and Bishop will intentionally consider you in the general discernment process.
Please remember that not every potential appointment will be listed as sometimes an appointment does not become open until late in the process or the Cabinet already has a clear idea of how the appointment will be filled. Delays in public announcements of discerned appointments occur because multiple pieces of the puzzle are often in play at the same time.
Current Clear Openings across the Greater Northwest Area
- Ketchikan First UMC in Ketchikan, AK — Full-time
- Fossil UMC, Fossil, OR — 1/2 time
- Heppner UMC, Heppner, OR — 1/2 time
- Molalla UMC, Molalla, OR — 1/4 time
- Richland UMC – Pine Valley Presbyterian, Richland and Halfway, OR — 3/4 time
Pacific Northwest Conference
- Beacon UMC — Full-time, Seattle, WA — Full-time
- Bonners Ferry UMC, Bonners Ferry, ID 1/2
- Clark Fork Parish (Clark Fork, ID + Noxon, MT + Heron, MT) – 1/2 time w/parsonage
- Elma UMC and Satsop UMC, Elma and Satsop, WA — 3/4 time
- Fairwood Community UMC, Renton, WA — Full-time
- Foothills UMC, Bonney Lake, WA — 1/2 time
- North Mason, Belfair, WA — 1/2 time
- Sandpoint UMC, Sandpoint, ID 1/2
- Trinity UMC, East Wenatchee, WA — 1/2 time
- Trinity UMC, Ritzville, WA — Full-time
- Trinity UMC, Seattle, WA — Full-time
- Washougal UMC, Washougal, WA — 3/4 time